Student PSA Programme
|Programme||Student PSA Programme|
|Instructors||Alex Walsh – Senior Instructor|
Nick Feehan – Programme Facilitator
|Duration of Course||3 hours – morning or afternoon session|
|Maximum number of participants||30 students|
This programme helps secondary school students develop increased personal safety and awareness. They will learn to recognise and evaluate a range of situations and assess their own position within those situations. Students will be taught methods and skills to protect themselves and promote their personal awareness. Personal Safety and Awareness is an invaluable aspect of student development, beneficial to all students moving on through the school senior cycle, third level education and throughout their adult life.
- Enable students to understand the benefit of effective communication
- Develop assertiveness in a positive manner
- Evaluate attitude and behaviour of others
- Gain new/improve personal safety skills & techniques
- Address anti-bullying
This programme links with existing school modules such Personal & Social Development and Health Education by:
- The promotion of positive attitudes and behaviour
- The well being of students in school, socially and in the working environment
- Adhering to and upholding anti-bullying
- Students feeling empowered and valued, learning new methods and skills
- Promoting safety education
As outlined in the ‘Transition Year Programmes – Guidelines for Schools’ this programme will enable students to:
- Develop active and participatory citizenship in pupils with regard to human rights and social responsibilities
- Increase student self knowledge
- Develop an understanding of others and situations
- Recognise and understand feelings and attitude of behaviour
- Enhance the concept of self
- The importance of personal safety and awareness
- Communication skills
- Active listening
- Attitude and behaviour of self and others
- Awareness of others
- Risk & threat assessment
- Q & A feedback from students
The programme is available throughout the school year to all interested schools. This interactive programme is designed to inform and benefit students in improving their personal safety and awareness. All expenses and associated costs of training are included in pricing structure.
At Personal Safety Ireland we recognise there is a need and want for people to feel respected and valued in every community and environment.
We are committed to assisting Transition Year and all secondary school students have an increased awareness of their personal safety. By investing and taking part in this programme, students will develop a better understanding of communication, assertiveness and student wellbeing
We recognise that secondary schools promote diversity within its community and we provide programmes to reflect and work in partnership with that ethos.
All participating students will be asked to integrate and work in groups assessing, evaluating and resolving scenario based examples of communication and behaviour, highlighting situations they may have encountered and how they dealt with those situations in the past.
Personal Safety Ireland delivers the following in the Personal Safety & Awareness programme:
This integrated programme encourages participants to interact with each other and work in groups assessing, evaluating and resolving scenario and video based examples of effective Communication Skills, Body Language, Attitude and Behaviour, Risks and Hazards and Conflict Management, highlighting situations they may have encountered.
Working through the programme, students will gain a greater knowledge and understanding of communication, positive assertiveness and student wellbeing.
Our aims and objectives are to encourage students to become aware and responsible for their own personal safety.
By respecting, listening and appreciating each other’s ideas and opinions they will collectively understand the importance of bringing the learnt elements of this programme to their student life on and off school premises.
Attendance certificates will be issued to all. All training materials and equipment will be provided by Personal Safety Ireland.
Your Instructor for this programme is Alexander Walsh and Programme Facilitator is Nick Feehan.
Contact Personal Safety Ireland